There are weeks where we load up a couple dozen mattresses – and we’ve just thrown our last mattress in the landfill!
Mattress Recycling Made Easy!
The typical way to get rid of a mattress involves a phone call to the local garbage company. You wrangle the mattress out of your house, put it by the curb, and they charge you $50 or so to load it into their huge truck and haul it off to the landfill.
It’s been that way for years, because it’s been the only option available – but we believe there’s a better way.
Like many things, mattresses can be recycled. The linings can be stripped out and used for padding and even moving blankets. The wire springs can be reclaimed and recycled. Even the wood and fabric have uses.
Here are some reasons why recycling your old mattress is the best option, both for you and for the environment.
Mattress Recycling – 5 Good Reasons
Mattress Recycling Saves Landfill Space
Mattresses take up a lot of space in the landfill. Even though landfills try to compact things as much as possible, the average mattress in a landfill takes up 22 cubic feet or so of space.
22 cubic feet may not sound like much, but now consider that the average mattress gets replaced every 10 years or so. This means that a typical adult will wind up disposing of 5 or more mattresses in their lifetime. 5 mattresses, times 22 cubic feet, times the population of an area served by a landfill (Eau Claire County is about 100,000) means about 11 million cubic feet of mattress garbage will wind up in the landfill – every 50 years!
We know that “11 million cubic feet” is hard to envision, so here’s a visual for you. Take 500 average-sized houses. Fill them floor-to-ceiling with junk. And then bury them. The whole house, from the bottom of the foundation to the top of the roof.
Mattress recycling keeps those mattresses out of the landfill.
Mattress Recycling Saves Money
“But wait,” you’re saying, “it costs money to recycle a mattress. How does that save money?”
The cost of putting the mattress in the landfill isn’t the only cost of mattress disposal. Mattresses provide a breeding area for some nasty bacteria and toxins, as well as having components that can damage landfill equipment and require expensive repairs. It’s estimated that a mattress in the landfill costs about $45 in long-term manpower, equipment, and environmental costs.
Recycling mattresses actually costs less in the long run.
Mattress Recycling Saves Future Generations
A landfill is land that we …. um …. fill. Kind of like a huge bucket. And when it gets full, we can’t just dump it out – we need a new bucket.
This means that the more we put in the landfill, the more landfills we’ll need. And the more landfills we need, the more landfills we’ll have to maintain. This cost won’t likely affect most of us, but a generation or two from now they’ll be footing the bill for not only building new landfills, but maintaining the old ones.
Recycling mattresses now means we’re not passing on those costs to future generations.
Mattress Recycling Is A Solved Problem
We all know that landfills are an issue. Most of us want to be good stewards of the environment, but despite advances there’s so much with our society that makes it difficult. We’ve probably also heard of scams perpetuated in the name of being eco-friendly.
Mattress recycling is low-hanging fruit, and it’s a solved problem. This isn’t some experimental thing that may or may not help. We take mattresses to 7 Rivers Recycling, people break them down, and recycle the components appropriately.
As far as protecting the environment, this is as simple as it gets!
Mattress Recycling Is Included In Our Pricing
We believe in simple, up-front pricing. All of our mattress and box spring removal prices include:
- Coming to your home
- Removing the mattress / box spring from your home
- Loading up your mattress in our vehicle
- Transporting your mattress 7 Rivers Recycling
- Paying the recycling fee
You don’t have to wrangle the mattress out of that upstairs bedroom. You don’t have to haul it out to the curb. The only finger you have to lift is the one that dials the phone.
Read more about our complete mattress removal services, and give us a call today!
Getting Your Junk Removed Is Fast & Easy!
We make it easy to turn your junk into a distant memory. Whether you call us or use our online form, our junk removal pros will make the process quick & simple.
- Give us a call, or fill out our online form. We'll figure out what you have, and what it will take to get it out. In rare circumstances we may ask you to text / email us photos, or for large projects we may schedule a time to stop out and take a first-hand look.
- We'll quote you an exact price. This price will always be what you'll pay for the junk removal you requested - there are never any hidden fees or upcharges!
- If everything sounds good to you, we'll schedule a time to pick up your junk. We don't have to call you multiple times to make sure you'll be available - we agree up-front, and we keep our word.
- Before we arrive, if there are any items bolted to walls, appliances connected to gas lines / electric, or anything else that's otherwise secured we always appreciate it if you can un-bolt, disconnect, and generally make your junk ready for removal. If this isn't possible, our junk removal experts will handle it for you!
- At the time of your appointment, our junk removal professionals show up when we promised, in uniform, and ready to work.
- We load up everything we agreed. If you find more stuff you want us to haul while we're there, we'll either just take it (we're not going to charge you for a desk lamp!) or we'll give you an on-the-spot add-on price for whatever it is.
- You pay us the agreed-upon amount by cash or credit card (preferred!), or check (if necessary). You'll never pay more than what we quoted you.
- Your junk rides off into the sunset, never to be seen (by you at least!) ever again.
The fastest and best way to get a fast, free quote from us is to text us at (715) 333-3643 or click the button in the lower right hand corner of this site to open a live chat. If you prefer communicating via email, please use the form below.
Junk Removal Service Area
We serve Eau Claire, Chippewa, Dunn, and St. Croix counties including: